Disciplinary Meeting Process Guidelines
Prior to Disciplinary Meeting:
- Document what you know about the incident/situation.
- Inform supervisor, manager, and HR of the incident/situation.
- Schedule meeting with employee, Union Steward, and additional supervisor(s) as soon as
- Prepare questions.
During Disciplinary Meeting:
- Gather the employee, Union Steward, and additional supervisor(s) in a private location.
- Ask employee if he/she wants Union Steward present.
- Read the card and invoke the 7-day investigatory period.
- Ask prepared questions, listen, ask follow up questions, and document responses.
- End initial meeting.
Following Disciplinary Meeting:
- Immediately review meeting notes and make corrections.
- ASAP notify supervisor, manager, and HR that meeting was held and provide details.
- When was the meeting?
- Who was present?
- Was the 7-day investigatory period invoked?
- What was discussed?
- When did the incident in question occur?
- Where did the incident occur?
- Who else was involved or witness the incident?
- What questions did you ask of the employee?
- What did the employee have to say?
- What is your assessment/opinion of the employee actions and responses? Did
- you feel he/she was covering up or lying? Did he/she admit to the action? Was
- he/she remorseful?
- Discuss incident with supervisor, manager, and HR to determine appropriate action to be taken.
Notification of Decision:
- Within 7 days, gather employee, Union Steward, and additional supervisor(s) who were present at the previous meeting.
- Inform employee the investigatory period has been concluded and what the action will be and why. Explain any conditions or expectations.
- Document any response the employee may have.
- Inform HR when final meeting was held and who was present.
- Letter of conversation or warning letter will be drafted and presented to you for review.
- Within 3 days of notification present final copy to employee for signature; keep a copy for your records, give the employee a copy to keep, and send another copy to HR for the personnel file.